Cochecton was reportedly the home of Tammany, a Native American sage of the Lenape. In the original charter of 1664, Cochecton marked the border between New York and New Jersey. After a long dispute — the New York-New Jersey Line War — the final border was set further South, near Port Jervis. The town was formed from the Town of Bethel in 1828. The Town of Delaware was formed from part of Cochecton in 1869. The town once had a station on the Binghamton branch of the Erie Lackawanna Railway, but passenger service on this branch ceased in 1971; the branch has since been taken over by Conrail. More recently, various proposals were made to restore service on the line, but none have yet been adopted.
The Leni-Lenape Indians were the first inhabitants. In 1754, Connecticut Yankees established Cushetunk as the first white settlement in the region and contended the west bank of the Delaware belonged to the Colony of Connecticut. The name “Delaware's” was the name European settlers called the Leni-Lenape Indians. The correct pronunciation of the town's name is "cuh-SHEK-ton," leading many to mistakenly believe the name is of French origin; the name is in fact derived from “Cushetunk,” a local Native American word meaning "low land" (alluding to the town's location in the upper Delaware Valley). This rich and fertile low land or “flats” were full of fish and game which became important for trade.
Remains of the Pump Station; The Erie Railroad Station; Schultz´s “round barn” and Lake Huntington.
The Cochecton Erie Railroad Station is a one-story Greek Revival station built around 1850, a the time the railroad pioneers were built the first major trunk lines. The building was located on the property of Cochecton Mills until 19993, when a group of interested residents, hearing the station was about to be demolished, formed the Cochecton Preservation Society for the major purpose of saving the station.
With money from many fundraisers and donations, the group has been able to dismantle the station, move it to another location along the old Erie tracks and rebuild it. It is now a historic site and museum.
Cochecton Preservation Society, Inc.
377 New Turnpike Road,
Cochecton, NY 12726, 845-932-8487
Home grown traditions manifest in country stores, an ice cream parlor displaying Early American artifacts, a railroad station/museum, and craft exhibits at Cochecton Center's annual Founders Day. Cochecton is also accessible from Routes 17B and 52.
A small community 5 minutes from the original site of the 1969 Woodstock Festival in Bethel, NY and the Bethel Woods Summer Concerts. The annual "City Games" at the Fosterdale Motor Lodge also pulls a large crowd.
A place where fishermen can be found in the winter ice fishing and then get warmed by a home-cooked meal or a drink at local eateries. In the summer, one can also overlook the lake and its boaters from the deck of the Nutshell Arts Center. Visitors to the Center can view works by area artists, many of whom also exhibit in New York City.
The Weekend of Chamber Music
March through April and July through August.
A Summer Festival held in the Nutshell Arts Center, The Weekend of Chamber Music features some of America´s best chamber musicians performing much-loved classics along with newer, vibrant works in imaginative programming. The group also gives children´s concerts and workshops, and holds open rehearsals.
©2007-16 The Upper Delaware Scenic Byway • PO Box 127 • Narrowsburg, NY 12764 • email@example.com
Website by: W Design