Originally built as an outpost for settlers in 1760, the structure was burned down by Joseph Brandt's Tory and Mohawk raiders in 1779 as a prelude to the Battle at Minisink. Rebuilt by Martinus Decker in 1793, the structure was later used as a hotel for the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company and now serves as a museum.
One will find artifacts and documents from the American Revolution to the Industrial Revolution times in within the stone-faced structure; spinning-wheels, clothing, and kitchen tools.
Once a month, May through November, there is usually special programs like 18th Century Colonial Cooking Demonstartions and Long Rifel Ren-enactors.
Foods are prepared using cooking methods, tools, foods and recipes of the 18th century. Staff and volunteers prepare breads, game, soups, puddings and pies as the visitors watch and learn.
An heriloom seed garden is planted every year recreating the tools, methods and crops of colonial farmers. An herb garden is also planted for visitors to see, smell and taste some of the plants that were used for medicinal purposes as well as food.
The Delaware River Heritage Trail and the Delaware and Hudson Canal Heritage Trail both pass nearby. The river trail is six miles long running along the Delaware River, through downtown Port Jervis to where New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania meet. Trail guides are available at Fort Decker.
Fort Decker Museum
125-133 West Main Street
Port Jervis, NY 12771
Fort Decker is open for scheduled events and by appointment for individuals
and tour groups.
Please call 845-856-2375
The book and gift shop offers many biography and history titles not available elsewhere.
©2007-16 The Upper Delaware Scenic Byway • PO Box 127 • Narrowsburg, NY 12764 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Website by: W Design